Thursday, July 16, 2009

Remembering I'm human...

I just thought to myself "What do you know at that age?". Earlier while watching my co-workers ogle an issue of Esquire, I thought "Married guys" along with a few other things.

The truth be told, there are 15-year-olds that could teach me a thing or two and 50-year-olds that have no grasp of reality. The ogling and sexual repression I associate with it has nothing to do with marital status.

I come with my own stereotypes. The best I can do is recognize them. I find most Americans repressed. I don't know enough residents of other countries to have a decent opinion. However, I do generally think that Europeans have a more comfortable relationship with sexuality. This opinion is based on very little.

I generally think that 50 year old white men are responsible for most of the ills of our world. I have an image of "soccer mom" in my head but have never met a person fitting that description.

I am 33 years old. I own and wear mesh. I sew. I sit behind a desk all day. I'm going to Burning Man for the second time. I just got engaged. I may buy a house if I find the right one. I play video games. I play not-so-video games. I despise being labeled or pigeon-holed but claim the word "geek" as a badge of honor.If I really don't fit into any box, why should I think anyone else does.

I am getting married. I am not "taking the plunge". I do not plan to "stop doing x or y" after I do. I do not plan to "start doing x or y" after I do.

I have been a grown-up for some time. That had nothing to do with my age. It has nothing to with how often I have sex or go to parties. I now look forward to joining forces with an amazing girl to redefine what being engaged entails followed shortly by redefining what being married entails.

I just have to remember that there a lot of people doing likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment