Tuesday, August 4, 2009

And the pendulum swings...

I've mentioned it before albeit on other servers. Popular opinion swings left to right in the United States. I am not going to put forth my own thoughts on why this occurs. But we are fickle creatures. We try to balance all aspects of our life and sometimes that causes people to latch on to a political ideology. Hard liners like myself just try to pull the center in our direction.

But every once in a while you see a shift. The great pendulum of thought moves. We often see it during an election. However, we elect leaders so that they will govern the way we hoped they would when pulling the lever. It should come as no surprise then that given the election of a progessive change is imminent. What I have also seen bubble up is hope.

The shift is minute. A few people switching news programs. A line or two in a bill. The major change doesn't happen overnight.... but it does happen. The beliefs of the citizens don't change that much, simply the way they are counted. A few senators see the wind blowing in one direction or another. A few more dollars get donated to one charity or another. That charity canvases a councilman's office. Momentum builds. It may seem silly as a system of government, but it is what it is. We are a country that seems to love the 49/51 split. I've never quite figured out why, but we always seem to split evenly. I guess its just our love of competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment