Friday, April 29, 2011

I guess I just don't understand...

I have the natural advantage of being a heterosexual Caucasian male at the center of the empire.

Do you hate me because of this?

No, of course you don't. You may not trust me. You may view these words differently from those written by another. Your entire perception of me, may have just changed. But how could one possibly hate someone they don't know. Oh, wait...

I could easily say that I love you. That I love all humans. It would cause you to pause. It would distract you for a moment. But it's not true and I have a thing about truth.

The truth is, I can only love those that I know. There are 6 billion people on this planet. I can list the ones I love on a 3x5 card. I will never know all the inhabitants of this country much less all of the inhabitants of the planet. It is physically impossible to meet all of us.

So, if you have never met someone who do you hate? I am not saying that everyone hates the same way. I find myself incapable of the emotion. Maybe that's the problem. I don't understand it. I have a vague concept. I know anger. Is hate simply being angry that an individual exists? I know love. Is hate loves opposite? Love lightens and strengthens. Does hate hold you down and make you feel heavy? Love enlightens. Does hate befuddle? Love transcends death. Does hate end with its subject?

The glow of warmth that suffuses us, the radiance that surrounds us, the power that fills the very cells of our being, that are all effects of love, do they have counterparts connected to hate. Oh... Oh no... Surely no one could withstand that. The opposite of love would destroy in moments. I imagine a soul torn asunder from the inside out. No vendetta, no past offense, no anger is worth that.

No comments:

Post a Comment