Sunday, January 29, 2017

Yes, I am a sore loser

I had to write.  I had been foregoing it as many of my thoughts may have seemed defeatist.  But, I'm still here and while I am, I will stand with my brothers and sisters. I will fight.

I have seen comments from people allied with the new presidential administration which seem to indicate their belief this about a lost election.  I have seen the phrases "sore loser" and "sour grapes".  Let be me clear, the only person disputing the election results that I have heard of is the current president.

But, I am a sore loser.  You see I lost something very dear and I cannot abide it.  I lost hope.  I lost faith in this country.  At one point, my faith in humanity was shaken.  Over the last few weeks,I have seen a fire start.  A fire that I feel is long overdue, but it did, unfortunately, need a spark.

And so, I have three messages for the people of my country.

For those who did willingly choose this outcome, I ask for any justification whatsoever.  I ask you to look back at the previous years and decades, and explain to me what good the policies of the current administration, and the party that supports it, can possibly do.  I then ask more specifically to look at the last month, and let me know of any benefit we have gained.  This country has never been isolationist.  In this century, isolationism is nearly impossible.  The borders will come down.  Division has never been tenable.  Taking health care away from those in need helps no one.  Building a wall to separate people became ridiculous with the advent of aircraft.  The Berlin Wall did not stop mass defection, the 47,000 members of the Grenztruppen der DDR guarding less than 100 miles of wall is what kept people in,  You can choose to deny these things, but in the end you know them to be true.

To those who were eligible and did not vote, you are as responsible for this result as you would be if you had voted for the winner.  I hope that you see what your silence has allowed and I hope that you join those trying to save this country.

To those of you who used your voice, I ask you to continue to do so.  I ask you to leave the confines of your own choir.  I ask that you contact your news outlets.  I ask you to write to your congressman whether or not you voted for them.  I ask you to stand with your brothers and sisters.  I ask you to remember that caring for your fellow humans is not a political issue.  I remind you that helping to protect those who cannot protect themselves is the purpose of a government.

I will skip the quotes from greater individuals than I.  I will not reference history's many similar situations.  I will say simply that the world is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment