Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day of course

I've been reminded a lot over the last few months that my family remains a lot closer than most. The physical distance is immaterial. The truth is that we have adapted to each other. We genuinely like to be together. My family has never been an obligation. If anything, I would like to be closer to my siblings. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

As one would guess, the connection with my family has its roots with my parents. Whether they knew it or not, they taught me to fight for what's important and let other things be. I have to presume the same of my siblings. We are not weak-willed creatures. We do not bow down. However, we do evaluate what mantles to take up and which to lay down. Sometimes there is simply no need to argue. Some things are better left unsaid.

My mother has continued to amaze me throughout my life. She has shown an openness that is hard to believe at times. She has time and time again refined my concepts of love and compassion. In all philosophical discourse, I would state that humans are not altruistic creatures. My mother has managed to prove me wrong.

There are various colloquialisms that could be thrown in here, but the truth is that she has a strength of will beyond my comprehension. She has fought the good fight and will continue to do so. I consider myself defeatist by comparison.

I would like to thank her for a myriad collection of gifts. However, I have relied on her strength as long as I have drawn breath and it has always shown through. If I have ever doubted it, I can only apologize.

May all mothers be celebrated this day and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment