Friday, October 8, 2010

Physical objects...

...have never been a primary concern for me. I work in an ethereal world. I think in abstracts and apply them to situations.

But I am a sensory creature. Sight, sound, touch, smell, taste... to a greater or lesser extent are our only inputs. Regardless of what I may "know", actual sensory input is how animals survived long enough to think.

And so, I held on to some intricately cut pieces of steel yesterday. They were cut to fit into a lock... to open a door.

I am not going to go into the discussion of land ownership. It is enough to say that I have a mortgage. Yet, the deed to a structure in Ambler is being transferred to myself and my wife. The right of transfer is now ours.

My wife... a band of silver around my finger announces to the world that I am committed to someone. Another physical object but far more symbolic. The steel may open doors, but the silver is much more powerful. The sight of it effecting all. The feel of it nearly an embrace.

The meaning of "I" and "mine" has changed. The silver on my left hand linking many of the things I do to another person according to the world at large. My heart linked to another person in everything I do.

The feeling of warmth that suffuses me through that link becomes sensory. It transcends the realm of mind to remind me of the power of sensory input and to remind me that there are things far more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment