I would like to thank his fellow humans for giving me a choice between hydroelectric and wind.
For those of you unfamiliar with energy generation and deregulation, we can choose the organization responsible for our power generation. Power distribution is handled by the local utility (PECO in most cases).
Energy generation is something I have strong opinions on. In the Philadelphia area, 60% of our power is generated via 2 nuclear plants. I consider this the good, clean part. I won't get into that at the moment. The other 40% is generated by dozens if not hundreds of ancient combustors burning coal and other fossil fuels.
But we can choose another way. We can choose to say "less". I am not saying we can choose to say "no more". We can't shut those old coal plants down. Not yet. What we can do is make a choice. We can say that we want something better.
There are some drawbacks. Utilities were regulated for a few reasons. But that discussion is much broader than one blog post. This is about change.
Over the millenia, there have been those who struggled to build a sustainable existence on this planet. There ideas have varied, but the goal has been similar: to reduce the impact we have on our fellow denizens.
We have become quite skilled at modifying our environment.... too skilled. We now have the power to effect global change. We have had the power to make this planet a wasteland in moments for 50 years. Thinking that we can not have the same effect over decades is preposterous.
And so the struggle takes it current form. Trying desperately to live within the limits. It may seem sometimes that the struggle has been in vain, but it is never in vain. Slowly, surely, we are changing the world. The doors are all unlocked now. It is time to force them open.
We have the power of choice. We have the power to decide what we find important. We have the power to put our money where our mouth is. Is the playing field level? No. Do all people have the same choices? No. There is much more work to do. It is not the time to celebrate and congratulate ourselves. It is time to choose.
The elite of the world can purchase new cars. Those cars become used cars. They are recirculated. The elite can encourage the use of renewable resources. The elite can start now so that the choices become open to others.
Some of my peers may not realize it, but I'm not speaking of some old man in a board room when I use the term "elite". If you live in the United States, have health insurance, and have a college education, the rest of the world considers you elite. You may as well consider yourself so. As Harry Chapin said, it is up to us. We are not enslaved. We are those that have to be listened to. We are the power base.
I am not going to claim that I do enough to bring about change. I don't think I ever will. I consider my contributions small and there is much work to do. I cannot claim I am responsible for passing any legislation or changing popular opinion. What I can claim is that when given a choice, I will never pick expedient over right. I will use the power I do have to effect change. I will evaluate things realistically and put cost in perspective.
I will never accept that things are not going to change because, well, you are reading a blog. I'm not sitting at a Gutenberg press. There is no typewriter ribbon. My screen has no cathode ray tube. We live in interesting times. We live in a time of change regardless of whether we desire it or feel that the wrong changes are taking place. We live in a time when I can choose how power is generated.
By the way, I chose wind.
I love when you write, Frank. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete