Monday, October 27, 2014

A conversation by a fence (Originally published on August 20, 2006)

Man 1: If there going to call it a Folk Festival, they should play mostly folk music.
Man 2: It doesn't matter to me what they play as long as it's good.

This was repeated in essence with different analogies for at least an hour. I did not chime in as I sat in my chair a few feet away. I had discovered something in the moment I heard the counter-play: it isn't about the music. Not for me anyway. I realized later, it never was. I hadn't really ever gone for the folk music, not really. Ani Difranco was the performer that got me to buy the tickets 4 years ago. I've never considered Ani folk but then again, I don't put things into genres.

This year, I really didn't see that much of the concerts. It is physically impossible to witness them all. I would have to estimate that I spent only 6 hours in front of a stage. It was the activity that occurred in the campsite that interested me more. That was amazing.

Dozens of moments are circulating in my mind, but one seems to want airing more than the rest. As many were, I was wearing glow sticks during the nighttime hours. I stumbled across a drum circle and began to dance. A young lady approached me and asked if she could have one of my glow sticks. As I had three and she had none, I gave one to her. She said "Thank you" and then she said "I knew you would. Hippies always share."

I was taken aback. Me? A hippy? I think back now and realize I must have looked the part. Dancing around a drum circle, unshaven, covered in dust. It was not really until I arrived in my world of concrete and steel that all the pieces came together. It's not about the music or the parties, it's about the world as it can exist. It's about a place where people share. It's about a place where you can walk up to anyone and start a conversation. It's about a place where you can leave your personal belongings by a tent and have complete confidence they will be there when you return. It's about a place where everyone walks everywhere. It's about a place where free expression is encouraged.

If wishing that place could exist year round makes me a hippy, than I am honored to be called one.

No comments:

Post a Comment