Monday, October 27, 2014

Spring has arrived (Originally published on April 1, 2007)

I don't base this statement on the Gregorian calendar, or Equinox celebrations, or some silly rodent in Pennsylvania, or the Farmer's Almanac. I base it on the warmth of the day. The cool of the evening. But just now, Nature decided to set her own marker. The sky is lit up by the great arc. The clouds are alive again. A billion watts of static electricity are the form the alarm clock takes. Nature has spoken. It is time for her children to wake.

As is her way, she does not merely scold. The thunder marks the coming of rain. It is light and short lived. Just a precursor to the season. Enough to give the first buds their start, nothing more for now. There is plenty of time.

We mark the date as the first of April. My sisters were born on this date. The Romans marked it as the start of their year. It is celebrated as a day of jocularity although the origin of the holiday escapes me.

I have been quite anxious for the beginning of Spring this year. The winter was very mild but something within me longed for the return of green. My life has been filled with anticipation recently. I sit, expectant. It is not usually my way. But I have had the feeling that something is coming for some time now. I have to remind myself to live in the now. Three months have already drawn to a close. Another storm has passed. Another day has passed...

It may be time to stop and smell the roses. Now that spring is here, there will be plenty of opportunities to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment