I think I may have found yet another genre. I would refer to it as essay, however, essays are written to convince others of a particular opinion. I have given up on that. For now, I'll just start typing and see where it goes.
Preface
It happens every so often. A sequence of unconnected events form into a pattern. Recognizing these patterns has allowed the human consciousness of the natural world to grow. We as humans cannot even see past our pre-school years without the use of pattern recognition. However, that same power has negative effects. Humans can take pattern recognition to a level of bigotry and hate.
Its implications are obvious in many regards. Upon further study, we can often find that these patterns are not based on personal experiences. Cultures bring their own stereotypes. In many cases, the hate comes first. The mind will lock on to a pattern and accept evidence that supports it. As a result, if someone believes a certain way, their interpretations of experiences will foster that belief.
The scientific method has its roots in trying to counter-act this pattern recognition. Logically, every new experience should be weighted against all previous experiences. If at any time a theory does not hold, it must be discarded. If one can keep their mind open to all new possibilities, there are no limits to what can be accomplished.
Throughout my life though, I have seen a strange twist to this tale. Although the scientific method can not technically be a belief system, one can react to it as if it were. In my case, the effect happens when anyone disputes the validity of the approach. The Kansas State Board of Education is often the culprit. I do not try to open their mind to their point of view. I dismiss them wholeheartedly without consideration.
It's something I cannot relate to. I have never believed in anything without question. I have never had to. When I have experienced things I could not explain, I consider them exactly that. Many of those experiences have changed my view of the world. At one time, I had thought that nothing could defy logic. I now know better.
At one time, I let it aggravate me. I then came to the realization that such things can only effect my life if I let them. They are only pictures on a screen of words in newsprint. I have never met anyone who considered me an infidel, or damned, or fallen. If anyone has prayed for my soul, I was not aware of it. If anyone has viewed me as evil, they have not said anything.
But, there are times where I wish to cry out. To the man on the street corner who is calling for his god. To the man at a pulpit screaming hate over the airways. To the people all of the globe contemplating martyrdom.
Then I remember that these people believe something. No matter what I say or do, I will not be able to shift that belief. No one can force or persuade another to open their heart. In many cases, I feel that there are other motivations. I feel that power or money or politics drive this fervor. In some cases it may, but not in all. At its root, there is a belief. You can change the views of those seeking power. You can bend those seeking money to your will. But true believers cannot be reasoned with. There are many who believe things I find preposterous. Things that the whole of the scientific community finds preposterous. Evidence can be offered time and time again. The result will be the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment