Monday, October 13, 2014

Irretrievably broken

This is not a phrase I would use.  When I first saw these words, they seemed disconnected.  I was not certain if irretrievably was even an accepted English word.  After verifying that the people of Oxford acknowledged it, I still felt that the pairing was bad.  Wouldn't "irretrievably" pair better with "lost"?  Wouldn't "irreparably" be more in tune with "broken"?  I personally would have used "broken beyond repair".

But in the end, the meaning was clear regardless of the word choice.  Something that once was is no more.  Something that had come to define me was gone.  I believe I saw the odd word choice and started looking for a loophole.  A last bit of denial.

The truth is that words in print changed nothing.  Our society puts great emphasis on paper.  I put great emphasis on symbols.  In this case, the symbol is a document.

No comments:

Post a Comment