Monday, October 27, 2014

I want one, I want one, I want one... (Originally published on September 1, 2006)


I have always associated Nikola Tesla's name with great things. The man understood things about electricity that gave us the life we have. He was also a little nuts by all accounts which adds to his charm.

A couple of days ago, I ran into another reason to like the name. It does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, has a top speed of roughly 130 mph and doesn't have a gas tank. This ain't your momma's electric car. This thing makes a Prius look boring.

Is it fairly priced? Hell, no! Lotus currently has the manufacturing contract. It's probably about the cheapest thing coming off of that assembly line at $100,000. Is it practical? Hell, no! It's a two seater. Does it charge off a standard 110? Hell, no! An electrician has to come to your house to install the charger. But, isn't it nice to look at an exotic car and not have to think of the 7.0 liter V10 or V12 or whatever under the hood. Isn't it nice to think of electric cars as able to replace everything coming out of Detroit. And with a 250 mile range, this thing can actually get somewhere other than down the block before you're on E.

Besides, don't worry someone else is looking at the other end of the spectrum. Cheap electric cars that can charge off a normal 110 volt outlet are coming. The same company that is bringing the SmartCar to the U.S. is also putting out some of their own. You can see them all at www.zapworld.com. They still aren't quite there with range and top speed, but you can get one for under $10,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment