Okay, I know it is a departure and I usually don't like to type out topics of conversation.
I used to write about completely abstract things and never put down
the empirical, the real, the day-to-day. My life has changed since
then. I have changed significantly since then.
Somewhere along the way I learned that all I can do is be. I
learned to see the beauty in the world. I may not fix the world's
problems but I will be the change I wish to see in the world. I will do
what I can to lessen the pain of my brothers and sisters and I will do
what I can to support the causes I believe in.
I am human and we get frustrated. My latest frustration stems from a
see of discussion loosely grouped under the topic of immigration. As
people shake their fists in the air and rattle sabers, pictures run
through my head. The pictures were taken of third-class and steerage
passengers on a little island off the coast of New Jersey. Not all of
the photos are pleasant. The island was called the Island of Tears by
some. Millions of people poured into this country from 1892 to 1924.
They were men, women, and children that were hoping for a better life.
Many of them would return to Europe to fight for their new country.
Many would not be allowed in. Many would have their names changed
indiscriminately. I would love to retell a personal story here but the
Musick's were already here. They were from an earlier wave of
immigration to reach our shores. A wave before photography.
The pictures are very different now. Men and women running across
barren lend towards a fence while being chased by INS vehicles. A
collection of rotted wood referred to as "a raft" slowly making its way
across the Carribean. The words inscribed on a huge statue screaming
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe
free."
But we've done away with all that. Even marrying one of us doesn't
guarantee you a right to live here. There are an estimated 30 million
people living here illegally. Although I doubt this figure as it would
represent 1/10 of our population, I'll allow it for the sake of
argument. They pick our fruit, wash our dishes, clean our homes, and
generally allow us to live the life we do.
I think people have tried the wrong tact in some cases when
discussing this issue. I mean human decency can always be countered by
lies and fear mongering. We are a capitalist country after all, so let
us speak of this from a purely economical standpoint. Let's say there
are 30 million people living here illegally. Then it would probably
stand to reason that they are not paying income tax. Well, let me see
we start by grandfathering people in. If you've lived here for 20
years, you are an American. Yes, this will be hard to verify. Oh well,
more citizens, more taxpayers. Oh, that's right if you bring them on
the payroll you have to pay them minimum wage. Minimum wage will
actually be a pay increase in many cases even though it is abysmally
low. Well, if you increase the wages of 40 million people guess what
you end up with... 30 million consumers. Now, I know what you're
thinking. If the wineries have to pay people minimum wage, what will
happen. The answer: California wines will probably increase in price.
Since wine is a luxury item and also taxed, the sale of more expensive
wine will again increase the tax base.
But, you say, won't some growers go out of business? This is
possible. The growers that are over stretched and rely on underpaid
migrant labor for their picking may very well be adversely effected.
But as it is illegal to hire labors that have entered the country
illegally, I'm sure that very few growers are actually doing it. But
what about the service industry? Won't they be hit? Again, are there
people working illegally in kitchens? I am so surprised. I guess we
would to pay them $5.85 an hour as well. Wait, if you start paying all
the kitchen staff minimum wage won't the front of the house demand more
money. I suppose so.
Waitresses and bartenders getting paid a legal wage plus tips! The
outrage! I know, I dared to speak it. But I am not a communist. I am
looking at this from a simple matter of capital. The ridiculousness of
having people receive checks for null or for pennies leads not only to
laughter among members of the industry but again to less tax revenue.
Basically, you can be evil and still support the opening of our
borders and still let people live hand to mouth on the ridiculously low
minimum wage. And you can do the most evil thing of all... hide your
intentions. What will appear to the outside world as the only logical
step will actually be brought about by greed. There are 30 million
people that can be brought into the rat race of credit cards and debt
counseling. It's an entire market to sell your products to. And the
rich and powerful won't be negatively effected. I mean, do congressman
actually drink California wines? They may have to start paying the
servants, but you can't run for office and be connected with illegal
labor.
Okay, I think I'm done now. I feel much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment